Mosquitoes can be quite bothersome, especially during summer when they breed at a hectic pace.
Babies and young children are prone to the nasty mosquito kisses, since their skin is still very tender.
If you don’t want to be spraying your loved ones with chemicals to deter the mosquitoes, then try some of these natural and safe ways to deal with the pests.
Mosquitoes are deterred by the color orange. Simply wrap orange cellophane around your light bulb, or use an orange-colored lamp to keep them away.
For a good night’s sleep, in the bedroom put one or two pots of blossoming rose, azalea, mint, or any other strong-smelling plants. Even uncovering two or three pieces of a strong-smelling ointment can keep them away.
If unfortunately mosquitoes have feasted on you, here are some natural ways to treat bites and stop the itching quickly:
- Rub soap or soapy water onto the bite. The itchiness will be quickly relieved.
- Run water as warm as you can stand on the bite.
- Washing or rubbing with salted water can soften the swelling and relieve itchiness.
- Rubbing freshly cut aloe vera leaf works miracles on mosquito bites.
- Cutting up a clove of garlic and rubbing it on the affected area can relieve itchiness instantly.
- Ground aspirin and water mixture works well for swelling.
Translated by Cecilia Kwan.