Home China The Tea Version of Civet Coffee... Panda Dung Brew From China

The Tea Version of Civet Coffee… Panda Dung Brew From China

We’ve all heard of Indonesia’s Kopi Luwak or civet poop coffee, but what about Panda Tea from Sichuan Province?

This has to be the craziest side product ever made in the name of giant pandas!

And why is it so special? Well, it’s just green tea fertilized with panda poop, but because this black and white bear is a rare species, even its dung is precious. It’s collected from a breeding center in South China.

Maybe dressing up like pandas makes the tea worthier of its name. (Image: Cngold.org)
Maybe dressing up like pandas makes the tea worthier of its name. (Image: Cngold.org)

So tea grown with panda dung goes for 220,000 yuan ($35,000) per pound… Are they serious?

An Yashi, the creator of panda tea, is a teacher at Sichuan University. He claims that the tea is well worth this price because it has anticancer function. But how?

An explained at a press conference: “The panda’s main food is bamboo. But only 30% of bamboo’s nutrition can be absorbed by the panda’s digestive system, and the remaining 70% is left in the feces,” according to Sichuan News.

“Bamboo and tea are both said to contain anticancer compounds. So my tea grown in panda dung would definitely have strong anticancer function.”

Sounds pretty sketchy to me. As this Sina blogger says:

Assuming what Mr. An said was true, why bother growing the tea? Just eat panda poop directly to fight cancer!

Workers wearing panda costumes in the tea garden. (Image: Soso.com)
Workers wearing panda costumes in the tea garden. (Image: Soso.com)

 

Vision Times Staff
Vision Times is a kaleidoscopic view into the most interesting stories on the web. We also have a special talent for China stories — read About Us to find out why. Vision Times. Fascinating stuff.

Most Popular

US Commerce Department Bans Investments in Chinese Military-Backed Companies

On Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020, the Trump administration issued an executive order barring investments in private companies with close ties to Chinese military, intelligence,...

4 Tips on How to Teach Kids Generosity During the Holidays

The Christmas holiday season is upon us and it will soon be time for celebrations, gift-giving, and other happy occasions. For many parents, this...

A Chinese Entrepreneur Predicts His Tragic Ending

In 1985, Sun Dawu, who has become a Chinese entrepreneur, and his wife started their business with a thousand chickens and 50 pigs. Ten...

Researchers Find Connection Between Household Chemicals and Gut Microbiome

A team of researchers for the first time has found a correlation between the levels of bacteria and fungi, the gut microbiome, in the...