This laowai cyclist took a brave stand in Beijing by getting in the way of a car driving in the wrong place.
The image was posted posted on Sina Weibo on Nov. 15 with the comment: “I saw this scene on Yao Jia Yuan Road today. A foreigner insisted on not allowing the car to drive on the cycle path. I was touched by his persistence.”
The post got plenty of likes and shares. Some bloggers praised his actions:
- “Foreign forces, universal values.”
- “Worth learning from. We should be brave to do the right thing and not always be indifferent. A better world needs more of these good people.”
Others felt sad about the current situation in China:
- “I can’t do this. I’m selfish and I’m afraid if I did this and got into trouble, that no one would help me.
- “Warning! This is a foreigner. If you’re local, well, just try and see what would happen.”
- “It’s sad. It’s a foreigner this time. If he were Chinese, both sides would surely be in conflict, and we can imagine what would happen…”